Thursday, December 28, 2006

no one reads my blog!

Haha.

I watched The Proud Family tonight and almost cried.

Yes. I said The Proud Family - a Disney Channel Original Series. YOU KNOW!

It's an Afro American-ish comedy cartoon, with a whole slew of loveable characters, including one named Dijonay. Like the combination mayonaise and mustard that Kraft makes.

I decided to start watching tonight after Law and Order reruns got too heavy. So it's about your average, All-American black family, their friends and neighbors, making it in the day to day, living and learning and all that jazz. It comes with the standard crazy grandma that tells it how it is, and even has this slightly Rick James-ish, uncle-ish, side-kick character that always wears a track suit, holds a microphone, and speaks in a sing-song Andre 3000 goof voice about what's going on. Like "I just ate the whole bird and now I need some ANT-ASS-SIIIIIIID!" It's effing awesome. I laughed hard. And not just cuz I'm tired. Cuz it's funny. I don't know if kids who watch the Disney channel think it's awesome, because I feel like its awesomeness might be over their little Hannah Montana heads, but I think it's awesome, and that's all that matters.

Anyways, the point is I LEARNED something from a cartoon tonight. That's right kids. I learned what KWANZA is all about. And shit man! It's not just for black people! I mean, it is, but it's full of some really amazing things that everybody should take to heart! How could you not want to supplement your Christmas with a holiday that celebrates Unity, Self-Determination, Collective Work and Responsibility, Cooperative Economics, Purpose, Creativity, and Faith?!

Baby Jesus, family togetherness, and gift giving are all great and wonderful things. But in the swamp of consumer driven poo-poo and the stress of creating perfect moments, what a solid, uplifting, organic, grounding, genuine, life-giving little tid-bit! Cooperative economics?! I love it! And any spiritual celebration that recognizes CREATIVITY as an essential part of the human process...amazing. Purpose? Togetherness? Faith? UNITY? Everything great and beautiful and essential to life is covered. It's like the dull pang of emptiness we all feel a little bit post-Christmas can be remedied with the awesomeness of KWANZA! And it doesnt leave anyone out for not thinking a certain way or not having the resources to buy gifts. And I like that.

Damn. I'm sold. Those childrens' television writers know what they're doing.

1 Comments:

At 7:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy kwanza, annie :) love quisha

 

Post a Comment

<< Home